Thursday, July 21, 2011

Ocarina of SPACETIME!

This week's readings were absolutely fascinating. I first dove into the Gee article, "Good Video Games and Good Learning." As I read, I found myself agreeing with so much. Yes, people spend large amounts of time tackling difficult problems...in games. They are creative, motivated, and they persevere. The games are set up to challenge them the right amount, to present information at the right time, and to 'pleasantly frustrate.'

While I was reading, I recalled some of my own experiences playing games. I had a good deal of fun with Duck Hunt, Super Mario Bros, and Legend of Zelda on my nintendo system as a kid. When we got an N64, I fell in love with Mario Kart, Super Mario 64, and Goldeneye, but no game could live up to my very, very favorite: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I was enthralled with the game. I had to go on exciting quests, talk to characters, run complicated errands, and work out puzzles to get through different levels. I worked for precious tools and weapons, including...


The Ocarina of Time! Needless to say, I was really nodding along when reading the article. Thinking about how much time I spent on that game, and how pleasant it was, really made me want to put my thinking cap on when the author asked: "How can we make learning in and out of school, with or without using games, more game-like in the sense of using the sorts of learning principles young people see in good games every day when and if they are playing these games reflectively and strategically?"

What a question. My first thought was that...games aren't graded. If we want to make school learning as effective as game learning, we have to take away the high stakes, the shame associated with failure - it's all got to go. We instead have to set tasks to our students that are hovering right above their current ability level, scaffolding them into more complicated tasks. And we have to be okay with failure while continuing to praise success. This way, students will be comfortable taking risks and 'playing the game.'

I think another key factor is that students need to believe in the epic win, as Jane McGonigal discussed in her TED talk. Players of a game know there is an end that has been designed to be achievable. In school, it sometimes might not feel that way - students might be missing key tools like the Ocarina and feel like the system is not set up such that they can 'win.' That needs to change if students are to buy into school learning the same way they buy into games.

Gee's final question continues to be fascinating to me, and I hope we discuss and explore it more in class. How fantastic would it be to harness that sort of educational potential!

The TED talk was interesting as well. Jane McGonigal discussed components of gaming that are useful in real life: cooperation and collaboration, believing you can be successful, being trusted with a mission. "What exactly are gamers good at? 1. urgent optimism. 2. social fabric. 3. blissful productivity. 4. epic meaning." She argues that gamers are "super empowered hopeful individuals." I was really wondering what she was getting at until she described her example games at the end. Making changes that aim toward an epic win in the oil shortage really did seem much more likely to take hold than changes motivated by "I should probably do this, it'll be better for the world."

I wonder what other games she has come up with since then. Could we really solve problems with games? I mean, at their heart games ARE the process of solving problems, but can we 'trick' people into playing for a cause?


Can we get people to buy in?

6 comments:

  1. One of the most interesting aspects relating to educational use of videos games I have learned about is the US Army using specialized versions of Call of Duty to train their soldiers team work in a live fire zone. Soldiers are able in a risk free zone learn how to coordinate movements from their commanding officer.

    I also agree with McGonigal that we need to increase the epic winning in education. That feeling of frustration of being at the cusp of beating the final boss needs to felt in education. I know I didn't get that feeling into I was well into my physics undergrad struggling with quantum homework at 3 am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comment regarding the fact that games aren't graded really resonated with me. In a game, it doesn't matter if you fail because you can just start over and try again. This provides players with opportunities to be creative and try new things. With school, students are often afraid to take such risks, preferring to do what they know works in order to get full marks on a test or assignment. If we took away grades (for at least some assignments) I wonder what would then happen?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaitlyn - I like the idea, but maybe instead of taking away the grade, doing like Anne is doing for our 695 class - do the work the first time, and if you get a score less than the one you want, you can redo it and have it regraded. At least for homework what that lets a student do is learn from their mistakes and fix them. I know when I was an undergrad (many moons ago) we had physics homework we turned in online - called CAPA - but for each problem you had 12 chances to get it right (to two decimal places). That was great because it gave us a chance to fail, and then a chance to talk to other student and figure out our mistakes and learn from them, not just do it and move on if we found out we were wrong the next day. With the digital divide in schools this might be harder, but it also amazes me that nearly 10 years later the computer access issues is still a problem (A thought for another day I am sure)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that one of the things that really resonated with me was that games gave instant feedback, something much harder to do in the classroom (iclickers?) It is much easier to learn to redo something if you find out it is wrong in the moment and can alter your thinking, opposed to finding out it was wrong a week later, but not remembering how the heck you go to that wrong answer. Additionally I think without that instant feedback you are more afraid to try new things as you are usually taught in a certain fashion and that is the way you are gonna try cause you know it was right (aka it was what or the way the teacher taught you -> it must be right). How might we change that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the thoughtful post, Breanna. You might find it interesting to take a closer look at McGonigal's "Urgent Evoke" game, just to get a sense of how she's tried to implement her ideas. Though I don't know the answer to the "how might this translate to school?" question, I think that she's framing an important insight about joy and purposeful activity (that you addressed in your previous post), one that I believe is worth our taking the time to consider and puzzle through. Clearly you do too, and I'll be interested to see where your thinking takes you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog post. I agree with your idea that kids are attracted to the game and to keep playing because there's no grade. I agree that often kids are afraid of failure, and once they get a bad grade get down on themselves and feel that they can't succeed, therefore stop trying. I think assessment without a grade is important, however I don't really know how realistic this is. In a game, kids aren't afraid to continue to keep going and die in the game, because they know they will get another life. However, in real life, if kids don't learn that sometimes they really need to work hard at something and do well the first time, then they are almost crippled for the real world after school. Kids need to learn that failure is part of life, but it isn't the end, they can get up and try again, and work hard to keep going and do better. I feel that if we try to protect our students from feeling like they didn't succeed at something, they don't really learn the skills necessary for learning to succeed as opposed to fail. Just a thought :)

    ReplyDelete