Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Is living wired weird?

When reading "The Wired Life: The Public and Private Spheres of the Gen M Community," I first wondered whether I counted as part of Generation M. (Wikipedia says no, I don't.) I agree with the general premise that for Gen M, the distinction between public and private is not so clear; they aren't distinct for today's youth. I think it is true that Gen M uses the internet as an extension of their selves. So many adults criticize youth for spending so much time online and not enough time in 'real life.' To some extent I agree with that criticism but after reading this article, I can see how youth conceptualize their time 'online' as part of real life, not separate from it.

I am the sort of person who does think it is rude to be texting a bunch of other people while spending time with a friend. To me this just indicates that the gap between my cultural upbringing and that of my students will only continue to widen as I get older.

However, I also see a bit of myself in what Klapperstuck and Kearns describe. I know that much information about myself is available online, but I have the same reaction of many younger people: Why would people want to access that? Sure, I monitor my online presence so that when future employers google me, I'm not ashamed of what they find. But it does not really bother me that, for example, any random person can read this blog. Out of all of the blogs online, why would someone go out of their way to read mine? It just isn't a concern for me.

Changing gears... I found myself nodding along when reading about how we are like Pavlov's dogs. I definitely get far too much of a little buzz when I get a new e-mail or, now, when someone mentions me on twitter. It's unhealthy. How does this affect Gen M? Are they living in a state of feeling satisfaction whenever they get a new message, but not really enjoying life? Are the 'back in my day, kids played outside!' comments that abound founded in a real problem? How will being so wired (or wireless...) continue to change how we function in society?

7 comments:

  1. I almost feel like the use of technology in young people will come in waves. I have so many friends who say "back in my day, kids played outside!" And we're only in our twenties! Maybe, if enough people our age feel this way, the next generation of kids will revert back to playing outside and not spending so much time on the computer or playing video games. I'm curious to see what will happen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think one of challenges we have as teachers is to transfer that inner monkey brain need from the lateral hypothalamus for constant stimulation towards actual higher order thinking. I have felt that same stimulation the author described one gets while search facebook feeds. During my biophysics research program, I was able to tap into that primitive need while I was researching. I believe that area of our brain can be put to good use rather than wasting our time our time on imdb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CohortB, what did you think of the IB program? Are you turned off about the idea of a school like this because it sounds like the definition of tracking to me? Or do you think it is a good idea in general? I was curious to ask, but didn't want to interrupt class flow.

    In regards to Pavlov, my daily multitasking sure does relate... never thought I would say that. It is pretty scary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean - I get a little thrill every time my phone goes off and feel the need to drop everything to check it!

    I was one of those "adults" who criticized on the privacy front, as I too monitor my online presence, but I can now see that some of these differences can stem from our perceptions of reality.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you pose some great questions in this blog. These are the questions I struggle with when dealing with the issue of whether or not to bring even MORE technology into students' lives. Don't they get enough already? I feel like if we don't encourage a change from living a life immersed in technology, then who will? I think it's sad that kids are growing up in an age where playing outdoors is replaced by playing on computer screens.
    I agree with you in that I find myself also getting easily 'buzzed' by checking my email or getting a new text message. I can see how this 'seeking' aspect of our brain is a reality, and a problem.
    Thanks for your thought provoking questions as I think they are serious issues we shouldn't take lightly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the buzz factor is part of the reason I LOVE taking a week off of technology every year. I have had some employers absolutely shocked that I was not going to be available if there was some emergency, but it is one of my favorite times. Obviously the phone is there for an emergency, but I don't check it unless I have to (like when I get really lost - a little lost and I just wing it).

    I think in part, the problem is that we as people think that the world would stop if we aren't managing it all, when in reality very little would go too wrong if we weren't around for a day or so. Emails pile up, but when you don't check them for days at a time, you often realize how many of them are useless anyways.

    Looking forward to my escape in August!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! The discussion of privacy is so interesting. As I was born near the end of Generation Y, and I have fully assimilated into Z (or M), and privacy is a mixed issue for me! I do like advertisements to appeal to myself, yet it does feel eerie that people can find information on me, on the web.

    I wonder in the Maslow's hierarchy of needs, how far technology literacy should be on that list? It is definitely not on the bottom portion, but it is not nearly defined as "self actualization".

    ReplyDelete